Sunday, October 2, 2016

What is Down Syndrome? And who gave it to my son?

<--Jude's actual chromosomes!

From The National Down Syndrome Society full explaination:

http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/What-Is-Down-Syndrome/

"In every cell in the human body there is a nucleus, where genetic material is stored in genes.  Genes carry the codes responsible for all of our inherited traits and are grouped along rod-like structures called chromosomes.  Typically, the nucleus of each cell contains 23 pairs of chromosomes, half of which are inherited from each parent. Down syndrome occurs when an individual has a full or partial extra copy of chromosome 21..."

 "Most cases are sporadic - chance - events."

And that is where I disagree. God knit Jude together in my womb just the way he is, extra chromosomes and all. I understand that all the medical community may mean by that is that it is not hereditary and it just happened. But it is important that I understand that an all powerful, all mighty, all knowing God made Jude exactly as He is because He is good and He is working all things together for my good. (Romans 8:28) So I had a choice when Jude was born and the diagnosis was given, rejoice in this good gift that the Lord so graciously gave me or give in to self-pity and wallow in vanity. I'd like to think that I always choose the first, rejoicing. That's not to say that there aren't days of self-pity but I know on "bad down syndrome days" (which are fewer and far between now) that I need to "fix my eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2) Jesus who was PERFECT died for me (and for Jude!) if anyone has something to complain about its the injustice of the crucifixion of Christ who NEVER sinned. The fact that God is upholding me and my family by the word of his power this very instant is more than I deserve. So, while it was important for me to get my heart right about the whole situation, we also prayed that God would be merciful and heal Jude of the effects of those extra chromosomes. And God has answered and continues to answer that prayer, I can't wait to share with you how far he has come in these almost 3 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment